Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Jefferson vs. Bush

"If we run into such [government] debts, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in twenty-four, give the earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses, and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes, have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-suffers." - Thomas Jefferson


"We are a nation of communities... a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky."

"Globalization has altered the dynamics in the White House, as well as between the White House and the Treasury." - George W. Bush

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it was Patrick Henry that said that, but I see your point.

I also see you allow anonymous comments.

You shouldn't!!

Eric W. said...

I would like to allow anon. comments and up until recently I did. But then the board becomes controlled by bots. Not where I would like to take things.

Anonymous said...

I'm posting as an 'anon'.

I click on 'other' and type my name.

If you guys all want people to sign up as bloggers just in order to join the conversation, that's fine.

Just realize you're limiting the discussion...

Eric W. said...

Yeah, I hate to limit it, unless I am in a rather cheeky mood. ;)