James Eagen Holmes (Not the hoax that Mohammed Alam was the shooter.) allegedly shot 70 people – 12 fatally – early Friday in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises.”
James Eagen Holmes, 24, was adopted by Mrs Holmes, 58, and husband Dr. Robert Holmes, 61,who worked for San Diego-based HNC Software, Inc., a company that worked with DARPA to develop “cortronic neural networks” that enable machines to translate aural and visual stimuli and simulate human thinking., They raised him as one of their own. James was an admitted agnostic.
(Coincidentally, Col. Robert Holmes, the grandfather of James Holmes, was a graduate Turkish language graduates of the Army Language School, later the Defense Language Institute, in Monterey, California (the same military installation, incidentally, where alleged 9/11 hijacker Saeed Alghamdi trained)).
Many friends and relatives, who said just a year ago Holmes was seen as an ‘all-American boy’ with an affinity for his family.
- Collecting unemployment
- Holmes also worked as a research assistant intern at the Salk Institute at the University of California at San Diego in La Jolla.(The Salk Institute has some ties to DARPA)
- Was one of six recipients previously awarded a $26,000 federal grant from the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.which also paid for his attendance at the neuroscience program at the University of Colorado in Denver.
- Weeks before the shooting, Holmes quit a 35-student Ph.D. program
- He was under psychiatric care ~ N.Y. Times
- On some sort of prescription
- A package was delivered by the U.S. Postal Service on the Monday after the shootings, and forced the evacuation of a campus building for 2 1/2 hours, the statement said.
- Holmes mailed a notebook filled with gruesome sketches and details of his plans for the attack in the crowded theater The notebook was in a package sent to a professor at the University of Colorado, which was intercepted by the FBI.
- In a statement, the university denied a report that the package sat in its mailroom for a week before the shooting spree.
Reportedly purchased a ticket to the film, left the theater after the movie began,
- Multiple people and multiple shooters?
- Corbin Dates state that Holmes received a phone call from someone while he was inside the theater and responded by moving to the emergency exit
- Dates also said he saw Holmes by the exit door “signaling somebody or looking for somebody to come his way.
- “From what we saw he wasn’t alone – he had someone with him. Because the second can of tear gas didn’t come from his side….“We can only assume that someone got him in because what he was wearing seemed thick.”
- A second gas mask different to the one Holmes was wearing was also found hundreds of feet from where Holmes was arrested at the opposite end of the theater car park, along with additional items.
- Police continued searching for other shooters.
- At 1:16am on the police audio recording from the scene, an officer
states, “Talking to people making statements, sounds like we have
possibly 2 shooters, one that was in Theater 8 seated, another one that
came in from the outside into Theater 9. Sounds like it was a
“Every unit, possible 2nd shooter still at large… Keep the media away from them,” said another officer.
- Initial police reports that suggested the involvement of two or more shooters
“As I was sitting down to get my seat, I noticed that a person came up to the front row, the front right, sat down, and as credits were going, it looked like he got a phone call. He went out toward the emergency exit doorway, which I thought was unusual to take a phone call. And it seemed like he probably pried it open, or probably did not let it latch all the way. As soon as the movie started, somebody came in, all black, gas mask, armor, and threw a gas can into the audience, and it went off, and then there were gunshots that took place.”
– “Witness: Someone let gunman inside Colorado movie theater,” CNN, July 20, 2012
His weapon jammed.
- James immediately turned himself into the police
- Holmes informed investigators that his residence – part of an apartment complex reserved for students, patients, and staff at the University of Colorado Medical Center — was rigged with explosives. (Why did Holmes go to the expense and trouble of rigging his apartment with an array of deadly explosives and then immediately tell police about the bombs when he was arrested? Given the fact that Holmes was a graduate student in neuroscience, where did he obtain the skills to create a maze of bombs so complex that it took the FBI two days to disarm them? According to experts, the intricacy of the bombs was reminiscent of war zones – how could Holmes have set all this up without help from an explosives expert?)
- Misc odditites
- Speaking to the Denver Post, Salina Jordan, who was situated in the theater next door to where the shootings took place, stated, “15-20 minutes into the movie that’s when you start hearing the….gunshots, the bullets start coming over into my theater and about six people got shot.” “Five minutes after the guy comes running in and tells them that they’re shooting outside, you hear the alarm go off, it says ‘murder in the theater’ – like it’s just going off ‘murder in the theater’, ‘murder in the theater’ – it’s crazy that they got an alarm saying that there’s murder in the theater,” she added.
He was placed on a no-bond hold and has been held in solitary confinement and remains under 23-hour lockdown, leaving his cell just once a day at an Arapahoe County detention facility since 7/20.(Note: Aurora police chief Daniel Oates" finished his 21-year career with the NYPD in 2001 as the commanding officer of the department’s Intelligence Division")
- Was arrested in the movie theater's parking lot, he sat wide-eyed and twitching and refused to cooperate with investigators
- Jailors at the facility agreed Holmes has been acting bizarrely ever since arriving and 'thinks he's acting in a movie'
- Steven Unruh claimed the shooter told him that he was “programmed” to carry out the massacre by an “evil” therapist.
- “He says that Holmes told him “he felt like he was in a video game” during the shooting, that “he wasn’t on his meds” and “nobody would help him.” He says Holmes also mentioned NLP — presumably, neuro-linguistic programming, a much-scorned and outmoded approach to psychotherapy — and claimed to have been “programmed” to kill by an evil therapist.”
“When he got out to his car, he wasn’t programmed no more,” Unruh says. “It sounded kind of crazy. He was trying to run it by me, basically.”
- Amnesia - He claims he doesn’t know why he’s in jail,” the worker said Thursday. “He asked, ‘Why am I here?’” Jail workers are convinced it's an act.
- Has been spitting so much at officers while he is held in police custody, they have been forced to put a face guard on him.
- 'He was spitting at the door and spitting at the guards,' a released inmate said outside the jail. 'He’s spitting at everything. Dude was acting crazy.'
- Sergeant Cassidee Carlson of the Aurora Police Department said police were proceeding cautiously as Holmes booby-trapped his home in a sophisticated and deliberate manner. A tripwire was at the entrance to his third-floor apartment, she said
- Police planned to remove about 30 devices inside the apartment and an additional 30 artillery shells, they said in a 9 a.m. written briefing..
- The FBI recovered a package that apparently was mailed by James Eagan Holmes after the shooting suspect told investigators to look for the item on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, a senior law enforcement official told NBC News on Wednesday.
- The detail of the case have been sealed citing
- The judge has issued an order barring lawyers in the case from publicly commenting on matters including evidence, whether a plea deal is in the works or results of any examination or test performed on someone.
- "In weighing the public interests versus the private interests, the public interest would not be served by disclosing additional records," Arapahoe County Sheriff J. Grayson Robinson wrote in a response to Yahoo News. "Mr. Holmes could potentially be significantly impacted by the release of his records and any corresponding publicity," he continued.
Grayson said part of his decision was based on a pretrial gag order issued by Chief District Judge William Sylvester.
- Holmes has been assigned a public defender, Tamara Brady.
- He appeared drugged.
- A court attendee declared - "He looks demonic. His eyes are just crazy," Sanchez said. "There's something wrong with that man."
- When authorities placed evidence bags over the 24-year-old's hands to preserve gunshot residue, he began playing with them as if they were two puppets.
- Jail workers said he was not on medication during court appearance
- Dr Joan Neff, a criminologist from the University of Virginia, told MailOnline that Holmes' appearance was consistent with someone who was suffering from a mental illness, such as schizophrenia.